Monday, December 1, 2008

you wrecked my life, now i'm gonna have to drive all night.

A few things first:
I can't stand when people type words like "gonna", but I felt that was how it happens in this song, so I went with it.
I am having a blast from the past week so far (yes, it is only Monday). I've been listening to Rotation (which was this summer) and the first AAR cd, since I'm still waiting for "Gives You Hell"... *cough* Jamie...
My Gram hates that song, "Gives You Hell". I was listening to it a while back and she goes "I hate that song, I can't believe you listen to it" and she thought it went "Give me hell, give me hell" and she kept singing her version every time the song was mentioned. I love it, I'm sorry Gram but I don't even consider "hell" a "four letter word". Even though it probably is.
This was also the weekend we discovered Grandma Boobie. A.k.a our Great-Grandma with unusually large boobs (Ash seems to think this is where I got the gene) and she walks around, sans bra. Or at least that's what it looks like. Therefore, Grandma Boobie.

I have nothing to write about. I just wanted to make a blog with that title. So I will find something to write about, and it's not seeming to be that difficult.
I have a lot of work to do. And all I want to do is read, but what else is new. I need some new books. I have this thing where I read about 4 books in like one week and then I just get burnt out from reading or something because the next week I have no desire to read.
I did just finish The Color Purple. I was always under the impression it was about slavery. But it wasn't. It was so good. It was one of those books that is written in the deep-South slang where "ast" means "ask". I was just surprised so many times throughout the book. It has a really happy ending. And I've never really experienced it before, but it was one of those books where after the climax you can actually feel the falling action action as you read. And it's not lame like Suzie got a detention and she realized she was being mean to everyone. It was like a make-you-smile type of rising action. You just wanted Celie to have the best life ever. It was pretty graphic at points, which I loved. haha. I thought it would go a lot faster than it did, but thankfully I spaced it out and savored every minute of it, opposed to sitting down and reading the whole thing in one day. I think about it all the time. It's probably embarrassing that I do that. But the book really connects to most things you learn in class. Like in Anthro I wanted to be like "OMG that's like in The Color Purple". But I didn't because I don't speak in that class, or any class for that matter. And I'm reading this ethnography about a crack dealer society and it keeps reminding me of TCP. Sometimes I can be racist, but you see no color in this book. I mean, well, you see a lot of it. And its not "purple" you just don't sit there and go "oh wow, stop complaining about your shitty life". She actually has a really shitty life, a legit one.

some favorite quotes:

"I dream of murder, she say, I dream of murder sleep or wake"
"They calls me yellow like yellow be my name"
"God don't think it dirty? I ast.
Naw, she say. God made it. Listen, God love everything you love-and a mess of stuff you don't. But more than anything else, god love admiration.
You saying God vain? I ast.
Naw, she say. Not vain, just wanting to share a good thing. I think it pisses God off if you walk by the color purple in a field somewhere and don't notice it"

(there aren't any quotes in the book, sorry if you actually read that and it's confusing)

I don't know. There are a lot of good ideas about God. Probably not something I should be reading as a Catholic, since we can't really do anything, or believe anything else. Read anything not from the Bible. You know.

So all in all, if you haven't read it, you should. And this is the first book I will recommend to anyone since well.. at least ten books back.

So I lost my favorite scarf at church. I told my dad to go looking for it, but I know he didn't.
Then last week I lost Ashleigh's favorite scarf in my English class...
Moral of the story: Kristen should not wear scarves anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment