Monday, November 23, 2009

who do you love. me or the thought of me.

i thought it's been long enough that i can write about the new john mayer cd without any bias. and i can't say many good things about it. that sounds so bad. i know he's "growing" as an artist but i don't like the growth towards something my dad would listen to in the 70's. the only saving thing about this album is a. the fact that it's john mayer and b. number 9 (the edge of desire). i like "perfectly lonely" because it reminds me of the old john we knew and loved. but this one song "crossroads" i skip over every time. it's too john mayer trio for me. i thought he was over that stage in his life.

i guess not.

i miss the days when he could sing things like:

"I can tell you this much, I will marry just once
And if it doesn't work out, I'll give her half of my stuff
It's fine with me
We said eternity"

and

"i could have met you in a sandbox"

and we could believe him. now when he says:

"and this is not to say
there never comes a day
i'll take my chances and start again
and look behind on all my younger times
i'll have to thank my wrongs that led me to a love so strong"

i can't believe this. i know that you'll never be what you were on room for squares or heavier things and there isn't much i can do about that.

but yeah, despite what i say and the lack of time i spend listening to it compared with all of his other albums, i still love it with all my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment