Thursday, June 30, 2011

i love you like a love song.

Sometimes, but hardly ever, I read a story that truly relates to me. I bought The Lottery and Other Stories by Shirley Jackson at Half Price Books the other day and I've read about ten of them so far. We all know or have heard of "The Lottery", but I still have yet to read it. I remember in the most hated English class I had where I first encountered Lit Bitch, we all got to pick a short story and do a ten minute presentation on it. Well, this one boy (who was rather attractive so that's probably why I remember the story) did "The Lottery" and I always meant to read it but never got around to reading it....So I will soon. I think I'm a few stories away from it. Well, anyway, "My Life With R. H. Macy" is the story of my life. More like the story that I wish was my life. It's basically about a girl who gets a job at Macy's and hates it and then quits. So basically the story of my life minus the quitting part.

I was talking to my friend yesterday and saying how if I could be anyone in the world I would be a girl in her early 20's from a small town that moves to New York City in the 1940's or 1960's and works at a department store. I don't really want much else. Seriously, those kinds of plots make the best stories. I mean, you can substitute the place of work for anything. Think The Bell Jar or Valley of the Dolls or even Mad Men. Except minus the attempted suicide, the drug use and the unplanned pregnancy. But why not add a little spice to life, you know?

No comments:

Post a Comment